TECHNICAL REGULATIONS – UPDATED 28 Jul 2016
(The regulations are subject to change, which will be published via Additional Supplementary Regulations – ASR)
1.1. Eligible cars
Any 4-wheeled production based car, kit cars or limited production sports car.
2. CATEGORIES OF VEHICLES
2.1. Interior of MSF Racing to be as such:
2.1.1 Street Limited cars AND Saga Cup 1500 NA:
• Fitted with OEM equipment as listed below:
o Air-conditioning switches and blower. Compressor, condenser and evaporator may be removed.
o OEM dashboard required. To be presentable.
o OEM Front door trim panels on both driver’s and passenger’s side.
o OEM glass all around. Front windscreen is to be 2-layer glass.
• Fitted with OEM full length dashboard with all listed panels. Refer to diagram 2016a:
o Instrument Panel and cowling
o Steering Column cover and indicator stalks
o Centre console and switches
o Gear console and gear shift cover.
• The following items may be removed and/or replaced with non-OEM material/items for safety and/or to accommodate safety equipment (refer to 4.6 and 4.7 for exact details):
– A, B, and C pillar trim may be replaced with non-OEM material
– interior trim from the rear of B-pillar and Front seats may be replaced with non-OEM items and/or material
• Welded-in safety cages are permitted and limited to 6-points on the floor; to be basic in configuration and may NOT be welded to strengthen the shell; refer to 4.1 for details.
• Organiser’s decision to accept or decline a car’s categorisation shall be final.
2.1.2. Competition-prepared Race Cars:
• Specifically-prepared for competition and not driven on a daily basis nor road-legal.
• Equipped with a welded or bolted-in roll cage which compiles to AAM and FIA specifications, and more than 6-points. The rollcage may be constructed to increase bodyshell rigidity with additional strengthening points to the pillars and suspension pick-up points.
• May be stripped of any interior equipment such as carpets, door trims, centre consoles, etc. Dashboard/instrument panel is not required. Replacement door panels permitted.
• Air-conditioning system and audio system may be removed
• Must be equipped with electrical cut-off switch and fire extinguisher of minimum specification:
o DCF (CF3 BR): 4.9kg
o NAF 83: 3.2kg
o NAF P: 3.2kg
o AFF: 2.4kg
o Powder: 2.0kg
2.2. Street Limited Categories:-
2.2.1. Kei Street – Cancelled.
2.2.2. Super 1500 NA – Front/Mid/Rear Engine, FWD/RWD/4WD cars below 1500cc, high volume unibody monocoque chassis only. Engine specifications refer to 7.5.
2.2.3. Proton 1800 NA – Proton car and engine vehicles only, must be a production-based Proton vehicle and engine. Engine specifications refer to 7.7.
2.2.4. Street Tuned Limited – Front Engine, FWD/RWD/4WD cars, high volume unibody monocoque chassis only. Specific capacities and engines permitted are:
– Forced induction non-variable valve timing up to 1600cc (turbo or super); with variable valve timing up to 1500cc (turbo or super). Turbo dimensions refer to 7.8.1
– Naturally aspirated with following limitations. Refer to 7.8.2
– Hybrid. Only OEM production cars and systems up to 1900cc.
2.2.5. Street 1600 Limited – Sub-category within Street Tuned. Maximum capacity 1600cc. Engine specifications refer to 7.9.
2.2.6. SuperStreet Limited – Front Engine, FWD/RWD/4WD cars, high volume unibody saloon cars.
– Saloon cars only; Supercars not permitted; Sportscars on a case-by-case basis upon application.
– Forced induction (Turbo or Supercharger) refer to 7.10.1
– Naturally aspirated with following limitations. Refer to 7.10.2
– Honda Civic models older than the Civic EG body are not permitted (EG onwards only)
– Tyre & wheel sizes limited to 17 inch and above only. Refer to 8.2
2.3. Competition-prepared cars
2.3.1 Special Kei – Front/Mid/Rear Engine, FWD/RWD/4WD cars below 1000cc, high volume unibody monocoque chassis only. Limited to production cars which conform to the original Japanese production kei-car dimensions of: Max Length: 3.4m. Max width: 1.48m. Rear suspension type, locations and hard-points to remain OEM. Bodywork modifications refer to paragraph 5.10 for dimensions. Engine specifications refer to paragraph 7.4. Tyres limited to size 185/60-13, refer to 8.4.
2.3.2 Saga Cup 1500 NA – Sub-category within Super 1500 NA. 1984-2007 Saga model ‘LM’ cars below 1500cc. Strictly naturally aspirated engines only. Gearbox refer to 3.4. Brakes, refer to 3.5. Interior refer to 3.6. Bodywork 5.11. Engine specifications refer to 7.6.
2.3.3 Race Cars – Racing and competition-prepared cars. Low Volume Sportscars will be classified in Class 1. FIA-spec competition-prepared cars. Saloon-based, minimum production 2500 units per calendar year. No supercars. No street cars permitted.
a) Open Class 1: Above 1900cc.
b) 1800 Class: 1900cc and below.
c) 1600 Class: 1600cc and below.
220.127.116.11 REGULATIONS FOR 1600cc ONLY:
• The model must be for public sale or produced in the year 2006 and after. The Organiser will have the right to grant special dispensation for cars which do not fit the above criteria. Eligible cars must be mass-produced, Series Production Saloon cars, having at least 4-seats and in accordance with the dimensions defined by the FIA for Touring Cars (Group A).
• Should be model chosen not have the correct capacity engine, the competitor could upon application to the organiser fit another engine and transmission from the manufacturer range provided it does not exceed 1600cc. Larger engines that are destroked or sleeved will not be accepted. The decision by the organiser to approve, reject or modify such application is final.
• Only cars with two-wheel drive (Front or Rear wheel drive) are eligible. Cars with forced induction are not eligible.
• Hybrid cars having swept volume under 1600cc are allowed. Hybrid cars are defined by vehicles having two power sources to power the vehicle. The control system on these vehicles is free; however, the other mechanical parts of the car are subject to this regulation.
• The transmission must be derived from the manufacturer’s range of production car transmission. New mounts are permitted. The number and attachment points to the bodyshell must remain as standard production.
3.1. Modifications made to the vehicle cannot compromise the safety or structural integrity of the vehicle.
3.2. Categories for street cars
• Original OEM fuel tank is required
• An inboard FIA specification fuel surge tank is allowed:
– limited to one 5-litre surge tank only.
– Petrol lines inside the vehicle, if any, must be certified safety fuel lines.
– A fire-proof bulkhead and/or protective cover and/or compartment must enclose the fuel pump.
– A pre-event inspection and approval is necessary and if they meet the organisers safety standards, will be registered and approved. An appointment minimum 1-week prior to the event is required.
• Spare wheel well may be cut and covered. Cover must be metal and must be welded to the body. No plastic or ABS or composite material permitted.
• Fundamentals of the engine installation must not change. Original engine mounting points on the body / subframe must remain, even if the engine has been changed.
3.3. For Street categories, OEM suspension types, mounting points and location must be used. Aftermarket coilover types may be used, adjustable top mounts to allow for camber adjustments is allowed.
3.4. Saga Cup 1500 NA Category, Gear box
• OEM Proton Saga gearbox with original Clutch Engagement.
• Gear ratios may be modified. Dog Engagement & Straight Cut gears are not allowed.
3.5. Saga Cup 1500 NA Category, Brakes:
• OEM brake calliper & disc rotors must be retained.
• Brake Pads & Brake Hoses may be replaced with aftermarket items.
• Vented Front Disc & Rear Brake disc systems are not allowed.
3.6 Saga Cup 1500 NA Category, Interior:
• Air-conditioning and Blower is not required and may be removed including associated hoses and piping.
4. SAFETY EQUIPMENT
4.1. For street cars, a bolt-in or welded-in Roll cage must be installed.
• It must be secured at minimum six (6) points on the floor with secure bolts or welded plates. Mounting points are the base of the A Pillar, B Pillar and the rear wheel arch or rear suspension turret.
• Only the main 6 cage location points to the floor of the shell may be welded.
• No welding to front suspension turrets.
• No welding to pillars (Only bolting to existing locations on the pillars or bodyshell is acceptable).
4.2. Cut off switches for electrical and fuel systems are compulsory for all categories with an external switch/lever. A sticker identifying the electrical cut off switch must be affixed near the switch.
4.3. Competition safety harness & Competition bucket seat is recommended.
4.4. A Fire Extinguisher must be fitted. Any type is acceptable.
4.5. Any battery placed within the passenger compartment must be of sealed Dry cell type. It must be installed securely within a secure box with lid cover.
4.6. The interior can be stripped of certain trim to facilitate installation of Roll Cage
Items that may be removed are:
• Rear Seat Back and Rear Seat Cushion.
• Rear parcel shelf or speaker shelf board.
• Floor carpets and headlining
4.7. Only the following listed items may be replaced for safety equipment installation:
• from the rear of the front seats and B-pillar onwards, the Rear Inner Door Panels and Rear Inner Side Panels must be in place, and may be replaced with other fire resistant panels that completely cover the window winder & door catch mechanism. There must not be any exposed metal in this area.
• Audio head unit may be removed and must be replaced with plastic panel to accommodate safety electric cut-off switch and other safety switches. There must not be any exposed hole in the dashboard.
4.8. Oil Catch tank within Engine bay must be of non-flammable material ie alloy or steel material
• must be securely mounted
• must be enclosed with no leaks or gaps
• must have hoses that are securely attached
• plastic bottles are not permitted.
5.1. Composite material for certain bodyparts are allowed, all parts must still retain the OEM factory body look and style. Parts replaceable are Front Bonnet, Rear Bootlid, Front wings/fenders, front bumper, rear bumper.
• Floorboard and any other part of the fundamental steel monocoque chassis body may not be cut and replaced with anything other than metal for the purposes of lightening.
5.2. Headlights and tail lights are recommended to be taped up.
5.3. All exterior lights must be functional.
• Both OEM headlights location must have functional headlamps. Additional spot/fog lights are allowed.
• All Tail/Rear lights must be functional. Brake Lights must be functional.
5.4. No fluid leaks of any kind.
5.5. No loose items within engine bay.
5.6. Poorly engineered and poorly attached bars inside the cabin are not allowed.
5.7. Cabriolet or soft-top convertible roof type vehicles may not run without the roof top.
5.8. Front and rear Tow Hooks must be attached and Arrow Stickers in fluorescent Red must be affixed.
5.9. Tires must not protrude beyond OE bodywork. However if wheel protrude beyond bodywork additional wheel arches MUST be installed. Wheel arches must cover from top of wheel & tire and reach to the bottom of vehicle floorpan level. Refer to diagram 2016b and 2016c below.
5.10. For Special Kei Category, installation of additional wheel arches is allowed. Wide body is allowed. Additional wheel arches must cover from top of wheel & tire and reach to the bottom of vehicle floorpan level. Wheel arches must cover from top of wheel & tire and reach to the bottom of vehicle floorpan level. Refer to diagram 2016b and 2016c below.
5.11. Saga Cup 1500 NA category bodywork:
• bodywork modifications are not permitted to the front and rear wheel arches. Wheel arches need to be stock size and shape;
• all OEM glass must be retained. Not permitted to change to perspex or acrylic
• welding to the bodyshell for strengthening and safety bars is permitted
6. DRIVER ATTIRE
6.1. Drivers are required to wear proper auto/motor Helmets. Minimum requirement is SIRIM Approved. No Bicycle Helmets allowed.
6.2. Drivers are required to wear proper racing attire: Flame Retardant club-level Racing suit complying minimum SFI 3.A/1 and/or EN533. Similar Flame Retardant shoes and gloves required.
6.3. Use of Hand And Neck Restraint (HANS) device is recommended.
6.4. Prohibited wear are Shorts, slippers or open-toe shoes.
7.1. The maximum engine capacity permitted is the allowed capacity as stated below for each Category +0.5% for tolerance.
– Super 1500 NA category is 1500cc + 7.5cc
– Proton 1800 NA category is 1900cc + 9.5cc
– Street Tuned Honda B-Series is 1700cc + 8.5cc
7.2. General information
• Nitrous Oxide system is not allowed in any category
• The numbers of attachment points to the bodyshell must remain as standard production
7.3. Kei Street
• Category cancelled
7.4. Special Kei
• Only 3-4 Cylinders 660cc, 850cc and 1000cc engines are allowed.
• Forced Induction up to 1000cc.
• Normally Aspirated up to 1300cc.
7.5. Super 1500 NA
• Engine capacity up to 1500cc.
• No rotary engines.
• Strictly naturally-aspirated engines only.
• Engines with variable valve timing and / or lift permitted.
7.6. Saga Cup 1500 NA
• 4G15 or 4G13 engines only up to 1500cc.
• Stock single Carburettor stock inlet manifold only.
• Exhaust manifolds may be replaced. Titanium material not allowed.
7.7. Proton 1800 NA
• Proton engines only, maximum capacity 1900cc.
• Original powertrain format and mountings may be modified, but engine and gearbox must be an original Proton unit.
• Strictly naturally-aspirated engines only.
• MIVEC heads not permitted.
7.8. Street Tuned Limited
7.8.1 Forced Induction.
• Petrol Engine with no variable-valve timing up to 1600cc; with variable-valve timing up to 1500cc.
• Diesel up to 2000cc.
• Turbocharger must meet either of the below specifications:
o Original OEM Turbocharger that is specific to the engine used in the car;
o TD04 Turbocharger with original TD04 housing;
o Any other Turbo with a maximum Inlet Bore of 46mm is be to declared to and certified by the Organisers prior to the race meeting.
7.8.2 Normally Aspirated
• 4-valve and 5-valve per cylinder engines up to 1900cc.
• 2-valve and 3-valve per cylinder engines up to 2500cc.
• Mazda rotary-engine up to 1308cc (maximum 2 rotors only) peripheral port not permitted.
• Honda B-series engines up to 1700cc.
• Other Variable Valve Timing ie MIVEC, VVTI, VANOS, engines up to 1900cc.
7.8.3 Hybrid powertrains
• Maximum engine capacity of up to 1900cc
7.9. Street 1600 NA
• Maximum capacity 1600cc.
• Honda B-Series and rotary engines are not permitted.
• Strictly naturally-aspirated engines only.
• Variable valve lift and timing permitted.
7.10. SuperStreet Limited
7.10.1 Forced Induction.
• 4-cylinder engines 1750cc to 2000cc non-VTEC; 6-cylinder engines up to 2500cc; rotary 1308cc (maximum 2 rotors only) with peripheral port modifications not permitted
• Honda VTEC systems with forced induction limited up to 1600cc only
• Turbocharger must meet either of the below specifications:
o Original OEM Turbocharger that are specific to the engine used in the car;
o TD05 Turbocharger with original TD05 housing;
o Any other Turbo with a maximum Inlet Bore of 48mm is be to declared to and certified by the Organisers prior to the race meeting.
7.10.2 Normally Aspirated
• Honda VTEC engines limited to 2-litre maximum engine capacities. Honda B-series engines 1800cc – 2000cc only.
• Naturally-aspirated non-VTEC up to 4500cc; other forms of variable valve timing permitted.
7.11. Race Cars
7.11.1 Equivalency formulas as follows:
• Forced induction engines will be subject to an equivalency factor of 1.7
• Rotary engines will be subject to an equivalency factor of 1.9.
7.11.2 Open (previously Class 1)
• Above 1900cc;
• Engine conversion permitted; attachment points to the bodyshell must be strengthened and properly engineered and fabricated.
7.11.3 1800 (previously Class 2)
• Maximum capacity up to 1900cc.
• The numbers of attachment points to the bodyshell must remain as standard production.
• Reverse heads not permitted.
• Single throttle body only with a maximum diameter of 60mm; multiple individual throttle bodies not permitted.
• Oil sump may be modified. Dry sump systems not permitted.
• Forced-induction not permitted
8.1. All categories – with no exceptions – are to use the control tyre in the sizes described below.
8.2 All Street categories limited to Toyo T1R size 195/50-15, with the exceptions:
• Street Tuned sizes 195/50-15 and 17-inch only
• SuperStreet sizes 17-inch and above only.
8.3. All Racing Cars categories except Race Cars Open, Special Kei and Saga Cup 1500 limited to Toyo R1R or Toyo R888R sizes as follows:-
• Race Cars 1600 and 1800 sizes 195/50-15
• Race Cars Open category permitted any size and open to any brand of semi-slick tyre.
8.4. Special Kei open to any brand of semi-slick size 185/60-13
8.5. Saga Cup 1500 NA limited to Toyo T1R size 195/50-15.
9. COMPETITION NUMBER & VEHICLE PRESENTATION
9.1. Competitors are obliged to carry the MSF partners’ logos in the mandatory sticker areas.
9.2. Official MSF Sticker Board of MSF Series Sponsors must be located in the area below the front windows behind the front wheel.
9.3. Official MSF Tire Partner sticker must be placed on the wheel arches, on all 4 arches.
9.4. Official MSF Title Sponsor sticker must be placed on the front & rear registration plate area.
9.5. Official MSF Category Partner sticker must be placed at the top of the front windscreen.
9.6. Competition numbers are to be placed in 2 locations:
• Door Numbers: Must be placed on each front Door. Each Number to be a minimum A3 Size (11” Wide x 16” High). All number must be of a contrasting colour to the car and reflective stickers are recommended.
Special Kei have special dispensation for Door Numbers, and are permitted to place their stickers at the rear side window on each side.
• Windscreen Numbers: Must be placed on the left front of windscreen, below Category Partner sticker. Must be 6” high in Arial Narrow font using White or fluorescent Yellow sticker.
9.7. Competitors & team own sponsors may be located at all other locations such as:
• Front Bonnet.
• Rear Door/fender.
• Rear Bootlid or Tailgate.
• Front & Rear bumpers.
9.8. A rejection fee of RM 500.00, for every deleted Partner /Sponsor sticker, is required of any Competitor that does not apply any MSF Partner /Sponsor stickers.
Copyright 2016 Matrix Motorsports Promotion Sdn Bhd 508407-T
Creators, Owners, Official Promoters
MSF Racing Series